me and my big mouth

I was scrolling through my facebook newsfeed this morning and happened upon a post about the universe being a rather big place for us to be all alone.  After hearing Louis Giglio speak on this matter, i have some new thoughts about just why the universe might be so big.  Here is the post i ran across:

‎"I'll tell you one thing about the universe, though. The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right?" ~Ellie Arroway, character in the movie 'Contact'

So I commented: "Maybe  the universe is so big because its there to show God's glory in all His splendor, and to that i say its just the right size." 

this is the response i got:

"Because, Amber, I don't believe that God, in all of Her infinite wisdom, would make this big, beautiful universe and leave us all alone in it. I don't fancy myself that wise a being to be so arrogant as to think we're the only intelligent life out here. It's too vast."


WOW! I was not expecting to get this kind of response.  Now this is someone who is a Christian.  So why shouldn't i be able to post my comment?  Apparently i have offended her.  Obviously I have offended her!  I would assume that all Christians believe that God is a he.  I would also assume that all Christians would be believers of The Word.  And this is what happens when i assume things, i offend others and look like an idiot.  I feel awful that i have stirred up so much emotion in my friend.  I would never even think that my comment about the universe being so big to show Gods glory and splendor would offend a Christian.  So now i sit here wondering where i went wrong?  How do i know when its okay to give my opinion and how can i do that without offending others and opposing their beliefs?  If i had an idea that this fellow Christian felt so passionately about the fact that God is a her, or the fact that she believes very strongly in aliens with intelligent life exist in the universe, then i never would have said what i said!  Once again i hear God telling me to be careful about my mouth.  To listen more and speak less.  Is this just another lesson to keep my mouth shut, or am i supposed to open my mouth sometimes to get others thinking?  Even if they are upset with me, does that really matter if God is trying to use me to speak to them?   

Now i am not suggesting that i know whether or not there is intelligent life in the universe. I am saying that Louis gave me some food for thought and a very possible explanation as to why, if there is not intelligent life out there, it is so big. 

2 comments:

  1. Amber, I don't think you said anything offensive or wrong. You just stated your opinion on the matter. You didn't come across as arrogant or like a know-it-all. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I think her response was probably a bit strong. As cool as all of the social media is, sometimes it is hard to understand the heart of a person through written word. You can't read tone and inflection. She clearly didn't understand where you were coming from. I know you and your sweet and good heart, so I could totally read into what you were saying. Don't let it bother you. We all get our feathers ruffled from time to time when someone doesn't see things from our point of view, and that seems to be what happened to your friend. If I were you I wouldn't dwell on it. You didn't say anything wrong or offensive. If this is someone you know personally, perhaps you can clear up the matter by telling her you didn't mean to offend her, you were just offering up another point of view. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is not a Christian.The Bible says,"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth"
    Her god is not the great "I AM" of the Bible.Jesus talks about coming from His Father :)

    ReplyDelete